Tuesday, 21 February 2017

So I Listened to... The Ables.


Audiobooks are something I think fondly of these days. I listen to them quite often as once I have finished writing, there are some days I do not feel like going from the screen of my laptop to that of my Kindle; so listening to something from Audible is much more appealing. As I have previously written, my brother enjoys audiobooks and listens to them in bulk due to his job as a truck driver. I hope one day that my own work will be available in audio format so that he and others have the choice of either them or the written book.

One of the first audiobooks I ever listened to was The Ables, written and narrated by Jeremy Scott, one of the men behind the Cinemasins Youtube channel. I think back on this story with great affection as it was a story that picked up its pace gradually as a group of disabled children, who find out that they have super powers and live in a town full of superheroes, are pulled into a threatening situation which could well kill them and everyone they know.

Scott has obviously paid attention to the films he has given sins to over the years of his popular channel and it shows in his story. Tremendous thought has obviously gone into the plot and I was caught off guard several times during the course of the story. I loved it, especially the two huge revelations towards the end. Scott has tweeted that he is writing the sequel and for me, it is a guaranteed sale.

One thing that does let a lot of audiobooks down is the narrator but with this one, it is obviously not an issue. Scott narrates it himself and his performance is brilliant and again, his narration has obviously been perfected thanks to his channel. He does so with a relaxed voice and when the more tense scenes come along, the shift of tone in his voice is gently done and comes across really well.

The audiobook is just shy of ten hours long, a good length in my opinion and certainly worth either the purchase or the token Audible gives out once a month, depending on your membership. If you like a superhero story with plenty of twists, where the characters are under genuine threat and nothing is guaranteed, I advise you to check this one out. One could only hope Marvel could listen to this story and learn something from it, but I guess that would be hoping too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment