Wednesday, 15 March 2017

Audiobooks: A Counter View.


My friend and fellow indie author, Mr. Brian Niemeier wrote an article for his blog in which he talked about his views on audiobooks. I agreed with what he said in the article, people want audio versions of books but do not seem to realize the cost involved in making them. Due to the costs involved and the ACX profit sharing scheme, it can be off-putting for indie authors like him and me to make them. I had the dream a long time ago of recording my own versions of my works but I had certain factors working against me: first off is that there is nowhere in my home that I can go to record properly in where no unwanted sounds can leak in. It would be either the sounds of my children playing, cars going by outside, the TV downstairs, or the sound of my neighbors screwing rather loudly; thanks to the thin walls. Another reason was that I did not have any of the equipment needed to make this happen, it is pricey and so is hiring a studio for the day.

When it comes to audiobooks and indeed Audible, I am appreciative of the market and the demand for these versions of author's material. As I have written before, my brother is a truck driver and does not have time to read so he makes great use of audiobooks; especially when driving. I like to read after I have finished writing but there are times I find it difficult to go from the screen of my laptop to that of my Kindle, so I go with an audiobook so I can relax and just listen. Brian also mentions in the article that narrators overcharge by a lot. He has a good point there.

I have seen authors have to turn to Kickstarter in the past to get audiobooks done and have a certain narrator perform them due to such a high cost. It is very disheartening because as Brian breaks down in his piece, it would cost him twice as much as it did for him to write a book for someone to perform it. He also raises objections by having to share the profits of his work with a narrator via the ACX scheme, I can see his point here totally but I do have some differing views on the whole thing of which I will now go into.

I have heard some great narrators do their thing with someone else's material, Adam Baldwin did a fantastic job with Larry Correia's Tom Stranger, Mare Trevathan also did a fantastic job with Nick Cole's CTRL ALT Revolt!, but I have also come across a couple of bad ones too. I won't name them but with the first, I had a job to finish the audiobook, and with the second... I couldn't finish it and deleted it half way through. These amazing narrators, especially the likes of Trevathan, I would consider it a compliment, even an honor, to have them read my material. When it comes to the ACX profit sharing scheme, if I were making just as much, if not more than a sale of the ebook of my work, then I would be happy with the whole thing. This view can be criticized or debated, sure, but it comes from the place that I do not rely on my writing to earn a living wage, I work full time and often write when I have gotten home but I understand Brian's dislike of it as he is a full-time writer; every penny counts.

This, to me, comes down to a case of each to their own. It can certainly be suggested I am coming at this from a biased position but I guess it is a debate that can rumble on for a little while, I respect Brian's opinion on the whole thing and I know he and I can have a healthy debate about it. Either way, Brian and I share the most important point and that is that our readers matter to us and if they have chosen to spend their money on our works, we will certainly listen to them.


No comments:

Post a Comment