Thursday, 9 March 2017

Harassment Part 3.

I have the feeling that this is a topic I will never really finish talking about. However, I felt this third part of my writing about it needed to be put out there for reasons that will soon become clear.

I have a couple of friends, they are together and a really nice couple too.They are both on Twitter and use it for either fun, serious discussion, or just some banter. They both attracted the attention of a stalker, a rather nasty individual who went after them on various occasions and attempted to get one of them fired from his job by attempting to contact his employer. This stalker, appearing to use two different accounts on Twitter, also went after her for her appearance in photos of her that she had posted on the site. Despite numerous reports filed against the accounts in question, they are still tweeting abuse and harassment at the time of writing this.

I found out about the whole thing by accident and offered whatever support I could once I did, but realistically there was little I could do except be there for them. Twitter's Safety Council had obviously failed them so last I had heard, they had involved the police in the matter and are hopeful that they track this low life down.

So, why did I write this piece?

I chose to write this because I admired the way the two of them chose to deal with the whole situation. Neither of them screamed from the rooftops that they were being harassed, they did not plaster it over Twitter like many of the modern feminists do, they did not open a Patreon and appeal for donations. Did they even blame it on Trump or Brexit? No, they dealt with it quietly and privately as possible. Brad Wardell once said that "Trolls adjust their flames to burn you accordingly" and that appears to be what this little shit is doing, but I have an idea that the police knocking on the door will change their mind.

I admire that neither of them played victims in this because it certainly is the trend these days. I can only hope that this situation ends soon for them but I know I can do no more than to offer my support and be there if either of them needs to talk. Harassment is an ugly thing but when it is tackled properly and not by adding fuel to the fire, it could become a minor itch in life and not the problem it is now.

Names were purposely withheld from this article for protection and respect of those involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment