Tuesday, 21 March 2017

So I Listened to... CTRL ALT Revolt!


I came across Nick Cole after hearing about CRTL ALT Revolt winning the Dragon Award for Best Apocalyptic Novel for 2016. I became curious as to what this book was like but was hesitant because I had quite a backlog (and still do) on my Kindle. I saw that an audiobook of it was available and took that route because I am able to get through these quicker, it turned out to be a great choice for reasons I am about to go into shortly. Nick was kind enough to join me on a live stream after I had finished it (and given it a five-star review) and we have become buddies online. Can it be argued that this piece is biased? Sure but I won't be bothered by that, I will always write about a good story or a bad one and give my thoughts. This story is not just a good one, but a great one as far as I am concerned.

An artificial intelligence has been slowly evolving inside the internet, watching humanity and considering it a threat. It begins with an assault by drones on the high-tech campus grounds of the Wondersoft Technologies company, it intensifies from there. Several characters stories are at first separate but as the threat increases and the story reaches its climax, they come together brilliantly.

A sign that can be considered a good one for me, whenever I listen to an audiobook, is how long I listen to one for in one go. With this I found myself listening to it in two-hour chunks on occasions just so I could see what was going to happen next. It was one of those stories where I could feel the tension slowly tightening and even felt shocked when a certain character met their end. It certainly deserved the Dragon award many times over as far as I am concerned.

The story behind what happened to Nick with this is well worth a read, especially for anyone considering going to a publisher. It is an example that freedom of speech will always prevail over censorship of any kind, especially the feelings of triggered little snowflakes in positions they don't deserve.

If anything, the icing on top of this wonderful cake is the voice of Mare Trevathan who narrates this audiobook. She reads with an easy going tone which ramps up when the tense scenes arrive, manages different accents with ease and takes on a delicate tone with the final scenes. Audiobooks live or die on their narrators and Trevathan gives a great performance in this ten-hour story, another reason I gave it five stars on Audible.

I recommended this to a few people now and will continue to do so. One day I hope to have Mare Trevathan read something of mine, based on her performance of this story alone and I remain hopeful that will happen. Give this a listen, it is another example that the best work can be found independently.





No comments:

Post a Comment