Wednesday, 15 March 2017

So I Listened to... Elite: Mostly Harmless.


I had the pleasure of meeting Kate Russell when I attended Shemfest last year, she was an absolutely lovely lady and I hope to shake her hand once again sometime. After that day and after the two-day hangover I managed to get over, I decided to look up her book and see what it was like. I checked out Audible to see if an audio version was available of it and sure enough it was, a bonus was that it was read by Russell herself. I certainly don't mind if an author uses a hired narrator to read their work but sometimes it is nice when the author does it themselves, I found out soon enough that Russell did a great job of it.

Commander Angel Rose is a down-on-her-luck pilot who is frowned upon by her parents, things couldn't get much worse before she is forced into a life of crime and on the run before going on a mission that could well be the end of her. Mixed in with this are a bunch of interesting characters who ever want to help her, probably kill her, and even screw her in more ways than one.

What jumps out at the listener is the effort that has gone into the recording of this audiobook: there are different sound effects thrown in, one voice in particular which is most likely done with some computer help, a little music and even a cameo from David Braben himself near the end. The story, as well as Russell's performance, were motivation enough for me to back her Kickstarter for her next audiobook, and I look forward to its eventual release.

The story is just over eight hours long and was a fun listen, I certainly recommend it to anyone who is interested. I understand Russell not narrating her next work as I've read it can be a draining task, but I hope she does it again sometime; she was bloody good at it and deserves recognition for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment