Thursday, 6 April 2017

Righting a Wrong.


Back when I was a child and read comics heavily, there were some individual issues, series, and stories that will always stay with me. Yes, I know many of you have read about me washing my hands of Marvel as of late but there will always be some of the classic stories that will always be close to my heart. A lot of those stories were written by one man, Peter David, and thanks to him among a few others, I will always have something to smile about when I think back on what, to me, were the golden days of Marvel.


Peter David is not doing so well these days. He wrote in his blog a few days ago that he was in serious financial trouble. His ex wife had withdrew a large chunk of his money from their account to divorce him a while back, he had to use the rest to pay for his own lawyer. After a period of repaying the IRS and running out of money, they seemed to forget about it, but then they came calling for the rest.
With a penalty.
And added interest.
I felt so bad reading what the poor guy was going through that I decided to write this piece in support of this great writer. I will be donating at the end of the month when I get paid, he has offered to sign anything sent to him when donating, and part of me wants to take him up on that offer, but it feels a little like I am taking advantage if I were to take him up on that.


I rarely, if at all, promote crowd funding schemes because I have little faith or trust in them anymore. There are some that would laugh at David for this fate and maybe call him a tax cheat. This is something not caused by himself, but a greedy ex wife who saw an opportunity to take advantage of him and did so without a second thought. It is not the first time I have known something like this to happen to a man and my heart goes out to him. At the time of writing this, his campaign is doing well and is almost at the half way point.
Even if you cannot donate, spread the word, as writers like this man deserve all the help they can get.

No comments:

Post a Comment